Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation Research Learning (MERL) Manager and Strategic Business Lead.
Responsible To: Chief Operating Officer.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria.
Duration: 1year fixed term
Ikore is an international development organization, offering innovative solutions to drive sustainable social and enterprise development. We work in hard-to-reach, economically deprived places across Nigeria and Africa, providing solutions that support inefficient markets and communities.
Our expertise is in Development Consulting, Research, Business Advisory and Enterprise Development across various sectors, using multiple approaches and covering several components. We facilitate market inclusion for improved productivity and a bumper harvest through capacity building, business model/strategy advisory, market linkages, social enterprises, and research.
We seek to employ a dynamic and innovative person with broad research skills and experience working in different Value chains across Nigeria and Africa. Someone who can work collectively with host communities to generate relevant insight crucial to designing and remodeling home-grown solutions that improve the livelihood and resilience of the communities.
The MERL Manager and Strategic Business Lead will be responsible for developing our MERL Business Portfolio and routine implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning activities for all Ikore Projects and Programs. S/he provides both leadership and management support for the setting of goals, developing detailed plans and managing the performance of the team to deliver on targets. The activities will include soliciting for new research business, designing a MERL system, conduction of evaluations and rapid assessments, work planning, tracking progress of objectives, development of data collection instruments and sampling strategies, onsite research, and data collection, documenting best practices, writing/reviewing required reports and liaising with stakeholders on technical matters. S/he is also responsible for reviewing Ikore’s current business strategy and goals in order to identify its potential strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for improvement.
- Work with Ikore leadership on visioning and goal setting exercise, to identify priorities for its MERL business portfolio
- Develop and manage Ikore’s Key Performance indicators (KPIs) to forecast and analyze Ikore’s Performance to help facilitate accurate budgeting, resource planning and goal setting.
- Identify research consulting opportunities and develop the pipeline
- Work with business development team to respond to new business opportunities in Research, including identifying potential collaborators.
- Oversee the execution of MERL businesses, including the recruitment of relevant personnel
- Design a monitoring, evaluation, research and learning system for all Ikore projects, including development of data collection and reporting tools and generation of reliable data for results- based management of the program.
- Develop Plans that will be implemented by reviewing and establishing strategic priorities and converts them to quantitative and actionable plans.
- Design, implement and disseminate qualitative and quantitative research studies, including routine exit interviews as well as rapid assessments of progress and quality of integrated Ikore service delivery in the hard-to-reach communities.
- Participate in the preparation of work plans, budgets, M&E plans, performance frameworks and program performance reports.
- Develop and recommend viable scenarios for mitigating any potential risks and develop risks report for business leadership and senior management.
- Represent and make appropriate presentations to stakeholders at various forums on program achievements and deliverables and other M&E activities.
- Conduct routine monitoring and supportive supervisory visits to project sites, including the conduct of data verification and validation and data quality assessments (DQAs) using standard checklists.
- Support the program implementation team to engage key stakeholders in periodic program reviews to validate implementation strategies; jointly define a pathway to change; analyze performance trends along the program indicators and articulate necessary course corrections.
- Suggest strategies to Project Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying gaps in completing project activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such gaps.
- Monitor program context to maintain an updated assessment of risks and assumptions and to support scenario planning for proactive decision-making.
- Provide M&E summaries to the program implementation team to facilitate documentation of best practices and dissemination of lessons learnt, to the key stakeholders and donor
- Conduct operational research activities and participate in project assessments, evaluations, and design teams as applicable.
- Build capacity of program staff on Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning
- Ensure that all MERL activities consider a gender and youth sensitive dimension
- Provide oversight and coordination of the MERL function of the program.
- Facilitate the preparation/production of project reports.
Required Skills and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Agric. Economics, Demography, Population Studies, Biostatistics, or related fields
- At least 5 years of direct involvement in providing monitoring and evaluation support for related programs.
- Understanding of the current M&E trends and especially M&E systems development organizations.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience with participatory and community-based M&E systems.
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
- Previous experience with development of e-platforms for data capturing and reporting.
- Experience using a mobile data collection tool is preferred.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to speak Hausa or Kanuri will be an added advantage.
Interested applicants to send their CV to email@example.com